Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mockinjay

I started this book with high hopes and then found myself not really liking it.  I can't really say why except that I got tired of Katniss whining so much.  I felt like her character just sort of fizzled out at the end of book two and for the first 2/3 of book three she just played around and spent day after day feeling sorry for herself.  I never saw her as that kind of person.  She had taken on being the provider at home at an early age out of necessity and sitting around feeling sorry for herself would have been a luxury.  Then she was dumped into the arena not once but twice and again, there is no room for whining or moping around there.  Then here is book three and she just cannot get it together and function.  She plays on Gale's sympathy but won't take ownership of her actions and then gets mad at him when he does.  And through it all she refuses to even feel a glimmer of anything nice toward Peeta once they rescue him.  She is mad because he wants to kill her.  Well boo hoo for her!

Now, having said all that, I kept reading and found the story to be pretty good until the end where I had to turn back a page or two more than once.  Katniss finally steps up, leads the rebel sharpshooters and discovers something that shakes her up and changes the entire way she views the war and the players in it.  But, the author seemed to rush into the end.  When Katniss runs to help her sister at the Capitol, it all just sort of runs together.  I had to read the page three times to figure out that she had been hit by the bomb and that Prim was killed.  Then it sort of rushes through the end. She is in her "old" room at the Capitol where she lived while she trained, then she was trying to kill herself, then addicted to Morphling, then not, then not eating, then free and back in 12 and living alone in the house and finally it all wrapped up in a more decently written way.  But, I found myself sad when it ended.  I want to know more.  I want more stories from other Tributes and their time in the arena.  I want to know more of the stories from the other districts.

All in all, I really liked the book and the series was pretty unforgettable.  Glad I read all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment